Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A pity for our Zoo..

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit our Indore zoo with my college pals... I was bubbling over with excitement to look over at the new born cubs of the White tiger. It had been greatly publicized in newspapers that the zoo authorites had set-up a lavish cage for the white tiger..
But alas! My anticipation was short-lived, as soon as I stepped into the zoo premises, a terrible stench made me cover my nose. We moved forward, cage-after-cage, looking with utter pity at the gruesome condition in which the animals were kept. The tiger had only palm-width shelter to walk around, this is what we do to our "national animal". While the bear never moved an inch, it seemed to have lost all its wilderness! The elephant had been contrained with iron chains and the leopard's condition was deteriorating day-by-day.
I felt this wierd emotion of sympathy and aversion. The only animal that was taken care of was the "white tiger" (as rightly said in newspaper) and few other habitants.. rest all the other animals were leading a torturous life..
This scenario made me think of the several laws government had implemented...Environment protection Act, 1986 ; Wildlife act, 1972 ; Animal protection Act; and the list goes on.. Has the governement ever thought of a 'Zoo management Act' or something..?
In a country like India, where efforts are being directed towards wildlife protection, it pains us to see such an agonizing state of endangered animals.
My simple solution is to either create a better zoological park or else eliminate a zoo that has such a pathetic management. I'm not saying that our zoo is completely mis-managed but the space for an animal like tiger and bear is so small that it degrades their wilderness completely.
I hope to see some rapid changes that would upgrade the current condition and provide the animals the rightful habitat they deserve..so that our future generations would actually be able to see a tiger instead of reading its name in "Extinct species"...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 ...A Thread of Thoughts.... All rights reserved.