Tuesday, September 3, 2013

You think plastic is useless, don’t you?


My new flat looks grand. With a promising fresh breeze flooding in from large windows that covers the breadth of the whole wall and with excellent ventilation, I almost marvel at my luck when I landed on this tenth floor flat. The ceiling has been artistically done, with a large green (yes green! My landlord has bad colour taste) POP slab ejecting out with hidden lights in them.
Sometimes I sit all by myself at the window sill, and sip my morning tea. That’s when I spotted the maze of blue plastic and rusted black corrugated roofs blocking my view. When one looks straight ahead from my window, one can get a glimpse of bunched haphazard buildings and dark outline of hills at the horizon. However when the gaze shifts downwards, a contrast presents itself- a huge stretch of slum, the roofs of which, as I see now, is adorned with thick blue plastic and discarded pieces of unevenly fixed aluminum sheets (‘patra’ as the locals call it).
The contrast is rigid. And it gets even more rigid during Monsoons.
While I fret over rains pouring and me getting wet, my maid, who lives in a small one room hatchment in the same slum, worries over water spilling inside her tiny cubicle, wetting her lone sets of furniture- a bed and a TV table. Once, she rapidly explained how horrendous her task was to pour water mug-by-mug from inside her house.
“This is the story of every monsoon. Water accumulates after one splash of heavy rain. But we cover our roofs with plastic so at least the leakage reduces,” she confides.
I, for one, have always considered plastic as a ‘hopeless’ commodity. It increases environmental pollution, is non-biodegradable and can be replaced easily with paper bags. However, what I absolutely missed was the irreplaceable use it offers to the poorest of poor people. It acts like a ceiling for them, like cement does for us. These huge plastic sheets serve the purpose of raincoat for them like umbrella does for us.
For slum-dwellers plastic is cheap and efficient. A meter sheet cost them anywhere between 350 to 400 bucks, while a roof made of cement or bricks can easily escalate to thousand of rupees.
A normal raincoat or umbrella starts from 100-150 bucks, but a thin plastic film merely costs 5-10 rupees. Why would they go for a more costly option such as umbrella when they can easily wrap a piece of plastic around them during rains? Their choice is limited-- plastic.
In India, environmentalists protest to ban plastic, with cities like Nainital already banning its use. However, for the lower-income group, environment has no place to stand in the ‘issue-list’ when heavy downpour threatens to float their furniture sets and a long list of monsoon diseases- typhoid, dengue, malaria, cholera, hepatitis, leptospirosis and gastroenteritis- lurk round the corner for two long months.
A quick Google search told me that according to All India Plastics Manufacturers' Association (AIPMA), domestic consumption of plastic has been growing at 10-12% CAGR over the last decade. The plastic processing industry is expected to touch Rs 1.3 trillion (18.9 million tones) by 2015 and increase employment to an estimated 7 million by 2015 from the current 3.5 million-plus people.
So, as futile as this commodity is considered to be, it is one indispensable unit in our country. In 2012, India was the third largest consumer of plastic in the world, that says a lot, isn’t it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 ...A Thread of Thoughts.... All rights reserved.